People with gout experience gout attacks which are focused on the sudden, severe pain and inflammation of the joint affected by gout. Due to the intense pain, a lot of gout sufferers lose their ability to function well at home or at work. Knowing ways on how to relieve gout pain is helpful especially for the gout patients who are already on the home treatment regimen.
A Brief Intro to Gout
Knowing gout will help you find better ways on how to relieve gout pain. Gout a.k.a. metabolic arthritis or gouty arthritis is the illness brought about by high levels of uric acid in the body. Uric acid is a substance that results from the body’s breakdown of purine- a component of some of the foods we eat. Uric acid in normal levels is a helpful antioxidant of the body and since we continue ingesting their food sources every day, it is ideal that they must be excreted immediately from the body to avoid uric acid build up. Most of the gout patients either suffer from high production of uric acid or inability to excrete uric acid through the kidneys. Due to these conditions, the excess uric acid builds up on one or several joints of the body and crystallizes, leading to gout and painful attacks.
Control Uric Acid, Prevent Pain
Knowing the cause of gout, it is understandable that the treatments and ways on how to relieve gout pain are centered on the control of the level of uric acid in the body.
How to Relieve Gout Pain Fast?
Immediate ways on how to relieve gout pain involve medications that are geared towards altering the response of pain receptors and preventing the normal inflammatory response of the body to act upon the affected joint. Some of the medications you can expect to relieve gout pain fast are:
1. NSAIDs- Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs for inflammation and pain relief
NSAIDs like Indomethacin, Sodium Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, and Naproxen are prescribed for sudden gout pain attacks.
Indomethacin is the most ideal NSAID used to treat gout pain. It has been used and proven effective for over 40 years already and is the first choice for fast pain relief. It acts to relieve pain in a range of 2- 4 hours. Indomethacin is ideal for gout sufferers with no other medical conditions. There is a slight risk for people with cardiovascular problems.
One of the better alternatives for gout pain management is Etoricoxib. This medication can perform even better than Indomethacin with lesser side effects.
It is important for gout sufferers to always have OTC NSAIDs in their pocket. OTC or over the counter NSAIDs do not require prescription from the physician before you can purchase them at the pharmacy. Among the best OTC medications for gout pain are Ibuprofen and Naproxen.
It is also important to note that Paracetamol is not effective for gout pain since it has no anti- inflammatory properties.
2. Another drug to relieve gout pain is Colchicine which can take effect in a matter of 8-12 hours and reduce swelling.
3. Other medications for gout include Allopurinol to decrease uric acid levels, corticosteroids for those who can’t tolerate NSAIDs, adrenocorticotropic hormone for hormonal imbalances, probenezid and sulfinpyrazone.
What to Do with Gout Pain from Home?
You can have multiple ways on how to relieve gout pain and many can be done from home. Home treatment methods usually vary per individual response. However, most gout cases are required to modify their diet due to the significant role of purine in increasing the uric acid level of the body.
1. Avoid foods and beverages with high purine content such as red meat, organ meat like brain, liver and kidneys, seafood, asparagus, anchovies, mackerel, beer and alcoholic beverages, carbonated drinks, mushrooms and beans.
2. Increase your fluid intake to at least 10 glasses per day to facilitate excretion of uric acid.
3. Some of the helpful foods for gout are non- fat dairy products, black cherry, and strawberry.
4. Loosely wrapping the affected joint with towel if you have gout attacks at night might be helpful.
5. Maintain healthy lifestyle and exercise without putting on too much stress on the affected area.
Note: There are some ways on how to relieve gout pain that you might find effective while others are not. You can test your individual response to these gout pain remedies and continue doing the ones that really helps you say goodbye to gout pain.